Monday, April 14, 2008

Semana Santa in Sevilla



Upon returning to Sevilla, we found the city swarming with people following the processions of Semana Santa day and night. Holy Week, or ‘Semana Santa’ in Spanish, is one of the most traditional events that Sevilla sees throughout the year, so there are literally about a million extra people in the city.

Before I saw any of the processions, someone told me that I would be shocked because in the U.S. we don’t have anything like it. That person was right. It was truly a spectacular sight to behold: the beauty of the pasos, the dedication of the people, etc.

I could really go on posting blog after blog about every little detail of the festivities; however, no matter what I say on the subject, I will by no means do it justice.

What I did do, however, is put together an abridged version of all of our pictures in our photo album, and here is some more information on Holy Week in general from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week_in_Seville

No comments: