Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kab'lajuj Ey Kaqchikel Maya Language School Clausura


 


































After the two weeks of classes, we had our clausura to conclude the course and celebrate the success of Kab'lajuj Ey. It is always an emotional time because you form really strong bonds with everyone, so it is difficult to say good-bye to people who have managed to profoundly touch your heart in such a short amount of time.

For the clausura, the students get to make mini-presentations, so I sang "Jun ti sanik" (There is one ant), which is a children's song in Kaqchikel. I also sang "Velha infancia" with Clarice in Portuguese. Some of the other talents were singing the Kansas alma mater, polka dancing, and having an English lesson for the teachers. It was hilarious teaching the teachers about vocabulary in English related to exercising (lifting weights, jumping jacks, etc.). It is always fun to turn the tables on the teachers and let them be students for a little bit. hehe

Finally, we all wrote a Matyoxinïk (a thank-you) for all of the teachers to thank them for all that they did for us. I am a schmuck for that sort of thing, so I was in tears the whole time I was trying to give mine. It was such a beautiful experience, so I really wanted my Matyoxinïk to communicate my gratitude and let the teachers know how much they each had touched my heart.

Since it was such a special occasion, I asked one of the teachers if she would mind lending me one of her trajes, so I felt so special walking around for the day in my po't and skirt!

No comments: