Monday, June 28, 2010

Yojkemon rik'in Ixkamey (We weave with Ixkamey)






Another real treat of the Kab'lajuj Ey course was that one of the teachers, Ixkamey, is a renowned weaver. For our cultural event, one day she brought some of her weaving supplies and taught us how to weave.

In Mayan numerology, the number 20 is fundamental, because that is the number of fingers and toes that each human being has. In weaving, the strings are counted off in twenties, so Ixkamey showed us how to count the correct number of threads to make the pattern consistent.

Since it takes a great deal of strength to be able to support a loom, women generally strap themselves to their loom, which is then secured to anything sturdy (a wall, a door frame, etc.).

I was absolutely terrified when I first started because I was really afraid that I was going to mess it up, but after I while I began to really enjoy it. Each of the threads that we used was an astonishingly beautiful hue, and I thanked Ixkamey profusely for teaching us how to weave. She is not only an extremely talented Kaqchikel teacher, but she is also a superb weaving instructor. Ütz rusamaj, Ixkamey!

No comments: