Friday, January 25, 2008

La comida de Melilla



Of course, one of the best parts of Melilla was all of the home cooked meals that Mari Carmen's mom made. She is an excellent chef, and I swear that Brian and I both gained a few pounds while we were there!

One of our first meals was paella, a typical rice dish that contains shellfish, chicken, red peppers, peas, and saffron. It was by far the best we have had since we have been in Spain.

We also got to try Mari Carmen's mom's recipe for croquetas made from scratch. They were so good that Brian hasn't been able to look at the ones here in Seville quite the same!

Another typical dish from Melilla is the Moroccan kabobs, or "pinchos morunos." They are seasoned with Moroccan spices and cooked on the grill. I quickly learned that there is a certain way that you are supposed to slide the meat off of the skewer the first day that we were there. We were in a restaurant, and I ordered one. Completely oblivious to the way in which the natives gracefully removed the meat, I bit into mine and began what resembled a game of tug of war, maneuvering the meat as best I could. Of course, I stuck out like a sore thumb, causing Mari Carmen and her family to erupt into laughter.

No comments: